|2015 has gotten off to a wonderful start for The Noblemen organization! One of the most rewarding Noble Deeds that we perform every year is our annual dictionary drive. Each year The Noblemen and NobleWomen visit all of the third graders in Virginia Beach Title 1 Elementary Schools and provide them each with the gift of a brand new Scholastic Elementary School Dictionary. We meet with each and every third grade class (over 1100 students) and go through a presentation. We explain to each of the students why we are known as "The Noblemen", what the word "Noble" means and why it is important for us to come visit with their class and do a Noble Deed for them. Each student must then enter into a "contract" with The Noblemen in order to receive their new dictionary. Inside the front cover of each book is a sticker that has our contract on it and it reads like this, "This dictionary is provided as a gift to a great Virginia Beach kid. Please pass it along to another when you no longer need it." Each student promises that when they get older and need a more advanced dictionary that they will pass their Scholastic dictionary along to another child who can use it. Every year we receive calls from parents who want us to know that their child came home with a new dictionary that was given to them by another student. It is an exceptional project that truly allows us to teach children about philanthropy!
This year The Noblemen were able to make some dreams come true for two very deserving local couples! Every year our organization partners with Edmarc, a local hospice for children, on several different initiatives, the largest of which is our annual Trolley Ride. This year we decided to offer the opportunity to attend the Red Hot Valentines free of charge to some of the families that we have worked with through Edmarc. We were also contacted directly by another local couple who are parents of a special needs child. They were wondering if we would consider allowing them to purchase discounted tickets so that they could enjoy a special night out together. Instead of selling them discounted tickets, we offered them two complimentary tickets to the ball, a complimentary tuxedo courtesy of Dan Ryan's for men, a brand new gown courtesy of Karen Archbell (NobleWomen member extraordinaire) and a complimentary room package to stay overnight at the Wyndham after the Red Hot Ball. We also provided the same complimentary package to another couple that we met through Edmarc. A special thanks goes out to Creech Insurance who sponsored specialized overnight childcare for one of the couple's children so that the parents could attend the ball. Parents who have children with special needs or a child who is in hospice care do not often get a special night out. The Noblemen are proud to have provided this magical opportunity to these two wonderful couples!
|Every year all of The NobleTeens chapters come together for an annual summit and this years's NobleTeens summit was a tremendous success! The officers from each NobleTeens chapter had the opportunity to stand up and speak about what their groups are working on. Here are some of the highlights of The NobleTeens program this year:
Tallwood High School NobleTeens:
- Put together and hung "Pawprints" for visiting exchange students.
- Provided volunteers to help the English Department Office.
- Held "The Mile of Change" fundraiser to raise money to purchase toys for The Noblemen Toy Drive.
- Participated in the JT Walk.
- Continue to hold the annual "Friendable Prom". This is a wonderful prom that is held for special needs adults.
- "A Lion in Need" initiative that supports kids in need.
- Participation in social nights / gatherings at the Beacon House where the teens spend social time with special needs adults.
Bayside High School:
- Hosted a lemonade stand at homecoming to raise money for CHKD.
- Raised toys to support The Noblemen Toy Drive
- Are currently hosting a book drive to acquire books to give to Saint Mary's Home for Disabled Children.
- Made Teddy Bears to give to children at CHKD for Christmas.
- Held a "Coins for Kids" fundraiser to raise money for CHKD.
- Participated in the "Stop Hunger Now" initiative and packed food to feed starving people in third world countries.
Salem High School:
- Volunteered to help out at the Glenwood Elementary School "Fall Fest".
- Had a fundraiser to raise money to help a custodian at the school whose home was robbed.
- Gathered items and put together boxes of toiletries that were donated to the Samaritan House.
- Continue to hold their annual "Roller Skate Day" for local children with special needs.
Princess Anne High School:
- Continue to host theirs annual "West Fest", a wonderful homecoming celebration which they hold especially for the special needs students in PA High School's West Wing facility.
- Participated in the Polar Plunge and won the award for "Best High School Team Costume"
- Are planning a ziti dinner night for families who have a child enrolled in the West Wing.
- Are planning a field day for the West Wing students.
Cox High School:
- Raised the most toys of any NobleTeens chapter (for the second year running!) to help The Noblemen Toy Drive!
- Continue to host an AP Study night to help their fellow students prepare for exams.
Kellam High School:
- Held a "Trick or Treat so Kids Can Eat" canned food drive.
- Raised money and Toys to support The Noblemen Toy Drive.
- Held an "Angel Tree" initiative that provided Christmas to four local families.
- Made Valentines for the teachers.
First Colonial High School:
- Organized and ran the "Charlie Normile Memorial Turkey Trot" race on Thanksgiving.
- Raised toys for The Noblemen Toy Drive.
- Helping to organize the first annual "Summerfest Concert" to benefit The NobleTeens.
Green Run High School:
- Raised toys to support The Noblemen Toy Drive.
- Held a peanut butter drive to benefit the Food Bank.
These are just some of the wonderful projects that the NobleTeens are or have been working on. The Noblemen could not be more proud of the wonderful efforts of these teens and cannot wait for next year's NobleTeens summit!
THE FIRST QUARTER OF 2015 HAS BEEN EXCEPTIONAL FOR THE NOBLEMEN! THANKS SO MUCH FOR CHECKING IN ON THIS EDITION OF OUR PHILANTHROPY BLOG! DON'T FORGET TO CHECK BACK NEXT QUARTER AND READ MORE ABOUT HOW THE NOBLEMEN, NOBLEWOMEN AND NOBLETEENS ARE CHANGING LIVES BY HELPING KIDS RIGHT HERE IN HAMPTON ROADS!!!